Friday, June 3, 2016

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Title: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Author: Cheryl Strayed


Published: Knopf, 2012


Pages: 315


Purchase Links:

Book Depository
The Nile

Summary: At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State — and she would do it alone. (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I have been having trouble with completing books lately. I've been starting them and then putting them down after a couple of pages because I just couldn't get into them. I went through my entire wishlist on the book depository looking for anything that might keep my interest. I found Wild and picked up a library copy to have a go at. As soon as I started reading this book I knew that it would be one to break the curse of the reading slump.


Wild isn't the kind of book that I would normally be interested in but as I'm getting older I'm finding my tastes in books to be changing up a bit. Anyway, on a whim I grabbed this one because it sounded intriguing. I know there was a lot of hype about this book being really inspirational and things and I tend to ignore things like that because I felt like this book could have potentially been overhyped.


Wild broke me a little. It is just such a heartbreaking read in more ways than one. I've always found the idea of divorce to be heartbreaking. You make this commitment to be with someone forever and then something happens and you're no longer able to make that promise. Cheryl's divorce coupled with her mothers death made for a very sad read. Cheryl Strayed wrote the emotions and how she was feeling so well that I felt awful. I felt as though I wanted to go crawl into bed and stay there for a while after reading some of the parts of this story.


The PCT and Cheryl Strayed's journey along it was also intriguing, every time something bad happened I felt myself cringing internally. I also felt that her descriptions of the outdoors and hiking along the trail made me want to get out and experience more of the wilderness for myself and the weekend that I read this book I went out and did a nice walking track where I live.


Wild was such a good book. It's definitely a book I can see myself coming back to every now and again, and it has inspired me to actually get up off my seat and get outside and see more of the world. I'm not going to go off hiking in the woods by myself but I still feel like I want to get outside more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!