Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The New Zealand Section: The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton

Title: The Rehearsal
Author: Eleanor Catton
Published: Granta Books, 2010 (First published 2009)



Synopsis: A high-school sex scandal jolts a group of teenage girls into a new awareness of their own potency and power. But when the local drama school decides to turn the scandal into a show, the real world and the world of the theatre are forced to meet, and soon the boundaries between private and public begin to dissolve.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Before she wrote The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton wrote The Rehearsal so I decided to start here rather than The Luminaries.  Not to mention that this book is a lot smaller than The Luminaries. Anyway, The Rehearsal is Eleanor Catton's debut novel and I believe she originally wrote it as part of her MFA.

I really enjoyed The Rehearsal, it's not at all like anything I would usually read but I found that to be kind of refreshing. The opening page was so strange and fascinating that it drew me into the book and I read it in a couple of sittings.

As this book is set in a New Zealand high school, I found that I could actually relate to a lot of what the character's were going through and what they were talking about. It was pretty easy to sympathise with the characters and it was kind of cool to see references to things that girls at my high school also did.


I really enjoyed the writing of The Rehearsal, Eleanor Catton just seemed to write in a fasinating and wonderful manner.  I definitely feel like she's an author I could read more of so I will be reading The Luminaries some time soon.


Where to purchase the book:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting premise! I definitely will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!