Monday, June 20, 2016

The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod

Title: The Miracle Morning

Author: Hal Elrod

Published: John Murray Learning, January 2016

Pages: 224

Purchase Links:
Book Depository
The Nile

Summary: What if you could wake up tomorrow and any - or EVERY - area of your life was beginning to transform? What would you change? The Miracle Morning is already transforming the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world by showing them how to wake up each day with more ENERGY, MOTIVATION, and FOCUS to take your life to the next level. It's been right here in front of us all along, but this book has finally brought it to life.
Are you ready? The next chapter of YOUR life-the most extraordinary life you've ever imagined-is about to begin. It's time to WAKE UP to your full potential...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts after reading the book: I'm not usually one to read self-help books but for whatever reason, this one stuck out as being one that I should read. Now, I am going to be honest in my thoughts and say that I was originally open minded but also skeptical of this book. I know that some self-help books can be extremely repetitive and also really cheesy. I wasn't sure how much this book was going to help me, but I was willing to be open-minded about it as a whole. 


The beginning of the book has a few pages of peoples praise for the book and I always ignore those because I have noticed from past experience that people tend to give excess praise and it just annoys me and makes me appreciate the book less. So, I read the first page or two and then decided that I would read this book in its entirety that day so I could get started on my Miracle Mornings the next day.


There is a lot of helpful information in this book about how to get started and what to expect. There are lots of little strategies and Hal Elrod explains the whole plan really clearly and in great detail. It was enough to get me really intrigued and willing to give this a go because really, I have been looking for a way to get up early and work on practicing Yoga in the mornings before work.


I do have a couple of things that bothered me a little. One of those is that every few paragraphs Hal Elrod mentions that you can check out his website for lots of extra free resources. Sure, I think it's great that the book has complementary material but I also hate when people try and push things at me constantly. Maybe the book isn't meant to be read in one sitting, and in which case I guess that would be less irksome. I did check out the free resources and utilized the Fast-start kit which is a little pdf file of how to get started on your 30 day journey.


Now, I read this book 33 days before I posted this review and that is because I decided that there would be no point in me talking about how great of a book this is (or isn't), if I didn't take the time to actually implement the advice being given. So the evening after I finished the book I decided that the next day would be the day that I tried out the 30 day challenge.


Thoughts after trying this out for 30+ days: Elrod's system is comprised of a series of things to do known as life S.A.V.E.R.S and he talks about how to personalise them to create our own miracle morning situation. So, before I started on this journey I did a little bit of customising. I set the intention to use this time to further my Yoga practice and leave me calm and more productive during the day through meditation and Yoga. So, I fine-tuned my mornings around this practice. Now, applying the life S.A.V.E.R.S principle I decided to get a little S.A.V.vy (see what I did there) and combine the first three principles into one guided meditation because that's what I wanted to do.


The way I set up my mornings was then: 1) Guided meditation, 2) Exercise, 3) Reading and 4) Scribing. (For a more comprehensive break-down of this check out my Yoga blog which contains the Scribing part of this). I will admit that I felt a lot better doing the whole miracle morning thing but I fell off the bandwagon in terms of the scribing aspect just because I don't really care about my writing anymore. I didn't really have anything to say and so I didn't see the point in trying to write something I didn't care about. I also did not manage to complete the 30 day challenge due to lots of little things happening that got in the way. However, I will be trying to get up early again for the next 30 days starting today and I'm just going to focus on my Yoga practice. I don't see the need to follow all the steps because really the point is to just get up earlier and do something to make yourself more productive.


So, 30 days after I read the book I have changed my mind about it a bit. It's a good idea but I feel like it has a lot of extra things that I don't need to do. So I'm simplifying it down into something that works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!