Friday, June 10, 2016

Consider her ways: and others by John Wyndham

Title: Consider her Ways: And Others

Author: John Wyndham

Published: Penguin, 2004 (First published 1956)

Pages: 192

Purchase Links:
Book Depository
The Nile

Description: The six stories in Consider Her Ways: And Others, the second collecton of John Wyndham's short tales, continue his exploration of the science fiction staple - what if? In the title story we are introduced to a world where all the men have been killed by a virus and women continue to survive in a strict caste system - bottom of the heap are the mothers. In others we meet the man who accidentally summons a devil and then has to find a way of getting rid of him without losing his immortal soul, as well as the woman who, thanks to an experiment in time, discovers why her lover abandoned her.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I love John Wyndham's writing and I'm slowly making my way through his books. This one is a short story collection and the first of Wyndham's I have read. There are only two out in these Penguin editions and I'm not sure if he has any more short stories but that's all good. I'll take as much of John Wyndham's work as I can get.

So, there are six short stories in this book but the first one, the title story is actually the longest by quite a bit. I quite enjoyed this story. It was really unique and quite intriguing. Basically, the world only consists of women. There were a couple of things in this that made me laugh for instance, there is one woman who suggests that they could have made it to the moon by now if men were still around. I feel like this was just a trademark of the times.

The others stories are all quite interesting, and I don't have too much to say about most of them. However, there was one story that I didn't quite get. I think I might have just missed something somewhere or it was supposed to be mysterious in a confusing way. Off the top of my head I think it was called The Disappearance of Peggy MacRafferty. 

Overall, I really enjoyed Consider her ways and others. The stories were all entertaining and John Wyndham is definitely one of my favourite authors right now. I look forward to reading even more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!