Monday, June 6, 2016

City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennett

Title: City of Blades

Author: Robert Jackson Bennett

Published: Broadway Books, January 2016

Pages: 484

Series: Book 2, The Divine Cities

Purchase Links:
Book Depository
The Nile

Summary: The city of Voortyashtan was once the domain of the goddess of death, war, and destruction, but now it’s little more than a ruin. General Turyin Mulaghesh is called out of retirement and sent to this hellish place to try to find a Saypuri secret agent who’s gone missing in the middle of a mission, but the city of war offers countless threats: not only have the ghosts of her own past battles followed her here, but she soon finds herself wondering what happened to all the souls that were trapped in the afterlife when the Divinities vanished. Do the dead sleep soundly in the land of death? Or do they have plans of their own?  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After quite enjoying City of Stairs I was looking forward to reading the next book in the series, City of Blades. I was especially excited as this book features Mulaghesh as the main character. We didn't get to know too much about her in the first book so I was curious as to what she would be like in this book.

I found that City of Blades didn't take me as long to read as City of Stairs, I think this was because I was more familiar with the world and also Robert Jackson Bennett's writing style.  It took me a chapter or two to get rolling as in the beginning things are a little chaotic and it takes a bit to adjust to whats happening and the new location. Once I got into the book I was off and read this book in only a couple of sittings.

I felt like the mystery in this book wasn't as mysterious as the first book. There was more of a focus on the military aspect and I'm not the biggest fan of militaristic fiction. It was interesting from a different angle so I did find it somewhat interesting.

Overall, I enjoyed City of Blades, I just didn't find it overly amazing. This could have been because I wasn't completely in the mood for a fantasy book at the time that I read it. I really enjoy the world building in these books and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Source: Netgalley for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!