Monday, April 25, 2016

The Visitor by Amanda Stevens

Title: The Visitor

Author: Amanda Stevens

Published: Mira, March 2016

Pages: 400

Series: Book 4, Graveyard Queen

Purchase Links:
Book Depository
The Nile

Summary: May contain spoilers! Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I'm starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price.

Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll's disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I'm being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I've waited to read this book for about four years and now it's finally here. As soon as I spotted it on NetGalley I snapped it up to read as I have been waiting so long. The trouble with waiting so long though, is I had forgotten a lot of what happened in the last book. I was also a little nervous that I wouldn't really enjoy this one after I had been waiting for so long. So I let the book sit for a while.

The things I love the most about this series are the mystery elements and the spooky vibe. I felt like in this book there was a little less of both those things but the creepy parts were still pretty creepy. The mystery aspect of this one was better than what I remember of the third book but I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of emphasis put on this one.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about this book was that I didn't like Devlin and I just thought there was too much weird stuff going on with him. The relationship between him and Amelia felt really awkward and strange that every time he was in the book I felt kind of uncomfortable, like I didn't want him to be there.

Overall, I enjoyed reading The Visitor but it just didn't feel like the previous three books in the series. That being said, I might actually go back and read the first three again at some point before I pick up book five as I really couldn't remember much of the previous books.

Source: NetGalley for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!