Monday, April 18, 2016

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

Title: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Author: Stephen King

Published: Hodder & Stoughton, 2015

Pages: 483

Summary: In The Bazaar of Bad Dreams there is a curio for every reader – a man who keeps reliving the same life, repeating the same mistakes over and over again, a columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries, a poignant tale about the end of the human race and a firework competition between neighbours which reaches an explosive climax.

There are also intriguing connections between the stories – themes of morality, guilt, the afterlife and what we would do differently if we could see into the future or correct the mistakes of the past.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I am very slowly exploring Stephen King's works and I'm finding it an interesting endeavor. In all honesty, the cover of this book is what drew me to it. It's just so colourful and I love it. I also really love the other edition of the book because that cover is very creepy too.

Anyway, on to my thoughts on the stories themselves. Before each story there was commentary from Stephen King about the story and why he wrote it or what he had in mind before he wrote it. I thought it was really interesting and I quite enjoyed those parts.

Usually with a lot of short story collections it's a mixed bag of good and not so good. This case was no exception. There were four stories that stuck out in my mind as really good. The first one was good once it got past all the pop culture references. My eyes kind of glazed over when he was mentioning Justin Bieber and I started to tune out so when there was actually some horror aspects I was really taken aback as I'd kind of forgotten what I was reading. Other ones I really enjoyed were the ones about the Kindle, a boy with a hat and the warring neighbours. They were all really good and kind of addictive. Especially the Kindle story.

Overall, I don't want to say too much about this book but I thought it was quite an interesting mix of stories. Some were horror and others would fit better in other genres. I would definitely recommend it for those who enjoy King's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!