Friday, April 22, 2016

Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Shadows of Self

Author: Brandon Sanderson

Published: Gollancz, 2015

Pages: 383

Series: Book 5, Mistborn

Purchase Links:
The Nile
The Book Depository

Summary: May contain spoilers! This bustling, optimistic, but still shaky society now faces its first instance of terrorism, crimes intended to stir up labor strife and religious conflict. Wax and Wayne, assisted by the lovely, brilliant Marasi, must unravel the conspiracy before civil strife stops Scadrial’s progress in its tracks. (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I wasn't the biggest fan of the first three Mistborn books, they were enjoyable but they weren't my favourite books by Brandon Sanderson. But I really loved The Alloy of Law which is book four so I was excited about reading Shadows of Self.

The book started off really interestingly but one issue I had was that I had trouble remembering what had happened in The Alloy of Law which is also about the same characters. So, I kind of had to second guess myself about some of the characters, eventually I started to remember things again and I was away and reading the book.

The book has a really good mystery, as it opens with a mass-murder and you have no idea whats going on. Eventually Wax gets called to the scene and from there he pieces together bits and pieces to try and figure out what happened.

I'm really fascinated by Wayne's magic use and just the things he does. He's so mysterious and I just feel like I want to know more about him and his past and what he can do.

I really enjoyed reading this book, there was an interesting mix of magic and technology as this has a Western feel to it. I kind of feel like there's something missing from it though. As though there's something more that I wanted from the story that I just didn't get. I just don't know exactly what it is.  That being said, I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series so I will be reading that one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!