Friday, December 18, 2015

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Title: Stolen Songbird

Author: Danielle L. Jensen

Published: Strange Chemistry, 2014

Purchase Links:
Book Depository

Pages: 469

Series: Book 1, Malediction Trilogy

Summary: For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the mountain. When Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she realises that the trolls are relying on her to break the curse.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind: escape. But the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time…
But the more time she spends with the trolls, the more she understands their plight. There is a rebellion brewing. And she just might be the one the trolls were looking for...  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: At the beginning of the year I went on a purge of my bookshelves and got rid of the majority of the YA titles as I seem to have outgrown the genre.  One of the very few YA books I did keep however, was Stolen Songbird as I was told that it wasn't a typical YA novel and that it was a really great fantasy book.

Stolen Songbird was alright.  I didn't think it was the most amazing book I've ever read and I don't think it was particularly original either.  It has an interesting premise and the idea of trolls being the main supernatural/fantasy creature I was definitely intrigued.  I just felt that as I was reading the book, the trolls seemed like they could have been any magical creature as they just didn't stand out.  Towards the end of the book it became clear what the trolls were but I thought it was a little odd the way that it was kept secret for so long.

The ending was interesting as it wasn't what I was expecting.  I will admit that I'm a little bit interested in how the second book will go, but I'm not interested enough to read the next book in the series.

The way that Tristan and Cecile argued constantly was kind of annoying.  For instance, the majority of the book were just the two of them fighting about one thing or another.
Overall, I just couldn't really get into Stolen Songbird, it was ok but it wasn't really my kind of book.  I feel like anyone who loves Young Adult fantasy will definitely enjoy it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!