Friday, December 11, 2015

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Title: Siddhartha

Author: Hermann Hesse

Published: Penguin Books, 2013 (First published 1922)

Purchase Links:
Book Depository

Pages: 224

Summary: A young Brahmin named Siddhartha searches for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have been eyeing this book up for a while.  Mostly because it is part of the Penguin Drop Cap series, which I am trying to read all of.  However, I was also recommended it by someone else recently so I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up sooner rather than later.

This book is written in such simple language but it's extremely effective in relaying its message.  I really do love books that speak in simple language but convey deep themes so well.

I really enjoyed reading Siddhartha.  It was just one of those books that I know will stay in my mind for a long time.  It's also definitely a book that I know I'll be returning to over and over again.  The characters are all very interesting and I was very intrigued in following along with Siddhartha's life and how his experiences influenced him.

There were a couple of things that happened in the book, I was a little surprised and taken aback by.  I think that given what I knew of the book I was just a little surprised that it had a tiny little bit of sexual content.  Anyway, I got over that pretty quickly, it was just a bit surprising.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Siddhartha.  I don't really feel like I have much else to say but I know that it's a book I'll definitely be recommending to people.  I'm also very interested in reading more books by Hermann Hesse in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!