Monday, December 14, 2015

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Title: Lord of the Flies

Author: William Golding

Published: Penguin Books, 2013 (First published 1954)

Purchase Links:
Book Depository

Pages: 256

Summary: At the dawn of the next world war, a plane crashes on an uncharted island, stranding a group of schoolboys. At first, with no adult supervision, their freedom is something to celebrate; this far from civilization the boys can do anything they want. Anything. They attempt to forge their own society, failing, however, in the face of terror, sin and evil. And as order collapses, as strange howls echo in the night, as terror begins its reign, the hope of adventure seems as far from reality as the hope of being rescued.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: This is a re-read for me as I originally read the book about nine or ten years ago but I remember I really loved reading it then so I was curious as to how I felt about the book this many years later.  Needless to say, I felt like re-reading this was like going back to an old friend.


I really like the way the book shows the decline in behaviour of people over time when they're taken away from society.  I remember the first time I read the book I just had to know what would happen at the end.  I needed to keep reading the book to see how it ended.  I still speculate about what would have happened if things had ended slightly differently.  What would have happened further down the line on the island.

William Golding's writing is very good and I'm curious about some of the other books he has read.  Really I don't feel like I have much more to say than that to be honest.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Lord of the Flies but I didn't feel like I got any more out of it than I did last time.  The upside is that I did get to read a nicer version of the book though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!