Friday, December 4, 2015

In the Woods by Tana French

Title: In the Woods

Author: Tana French


Published: Viking, 2007


Purchase Links:

Book Depository

Pages: 429


Series: Book 1, Dublin Murder Squad


Summary: As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children. He is gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.


Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a 12-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox (his partner and closest friend) find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I have been wanting to read this book since I discovered The Secret Place, book five in the series in a bookshop and thought that sounded amazing.  So I have been obsessed with wanting to read this one for about a year.  Well, I have finally picked it up and I have to say that I'm really glad that I picked it up.

I have to say that I loved reading In the Woods, it was so addictive.  I felt like I needed to know what happened next and I needed to know the answers to both mysteries.  Now, I don't want to say too much about the mystery aspect because that would make it less of a mystery 

I feel as though there were hintings at other mysteries which will be addressed in further books.  This was good in some ways as it has me interested in the next books.  But it was also bad because I felt as though some of my attention was then taken away and I started to wonder about the second book in the series and what secrets I will learn in there.


In the beginning stages of the book and until about three quarters of the way through I really liked Rob as a character.  I found him to be really interesting and there was just something about him that made me sympathize with him.  Then about three quarters of the way through his behaviour changed and he did something that I didn't really like.  I felt a little disappointed in him.


I stayed up way too late to finish this book as I got to a point where I just couldn't stop reading it because I needed to know the answers.  I have to say that I managed to guess whodunnit and why and it made me pretty happy that I was able to figure it out.


Overall, I felt as though In the Woods was such a great book and I am already itching to get my hands on The Likeness because I just need more of the mysteries.  Tana French can write very addictive and wonderful mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!