Friday, November 20, 2015

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Title: The Handmaid's Tale

Author: Margaret Atwood

Published: Vintage Books, 2007 (First published 1985)

Pages: 324

Summary: The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one function: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I wasn't initially going to write about this book as I feel like it's such a famous book that everyone has heard of it and most people have already read it, chosen not to, or intend to read it at some point.  Either way, I felt like I didn't really need to add my opinion to the vast sea of opinions already out there about this book.  However, having just finished this book I felt like I wanted to talk about it and this was the best way to do so.

Margaret Atwood is an amazing writer.  Her writing style is simple and easy to read yet it leaves a lasting impression and has an addictive quality to it.  I had no idea where the character was going to end up in this book.  Her future was unknown to me, much as her fate was unknown to her.  There were so many different scenarios I could see happening at the end of this book, but I was quite impressed by the way this book ended.

The Handmaid's Tale is a really sad book and I felt bad for Offred and all of the women.  What everyone had to go through in the Republic of Gilead was really not nice.  It really made me even more appreciative of what I have now and the choices that I can make on a daily basis.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Handmaid's Tale.  It was so interesting and so well written.  It was definitely a book that made me think about how we live today and how we may live in the future.  At this point in time I want to rush out and get every book of Margaret Atwood's to read through.  

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, looks like a fab book! It would be great if you added your review to the Books You Loved: November collection over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!