Friday, November 13, 2015

The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Title: The Coppper Gauntlet

Author: Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Published: Corgi Children's, September 2015

Purchase Links:
The Book Depository*

Pages: 272

Series: Book two, Magisterium

Summary: May contain spoilers! Callum Hunt’s summer break isn’t like other kids’. His closest companion is a Chaos-ridden wolf, Havoc. His father suspects him of being secretly evil. And, of course, most kids aren’t heading back to school in the magical world of the Magisterium . . .

It’s not easy for Call . . . and it gets even harder after he checks out his basement and discovers that his dad might be trying to destroy both him and Havoc.
Call escapes to the Magisterium but things only intensify there. The Alkahest - a copper gauntlet capable of separating certain magicians from their magic - has been stolen. And in their search to discover the culprit, Call and his friends awaken the attention of some very dangerous foes - and get closer to an even more dangerous truth.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: After reading the first book in the Magisterium series I was curious as to how the next book would play out.

In some ways I felt as though this book resembled Harry Potter a little more than the first one.  I'm not sure if that was because I read a few reviews for The Iron Trial after I finished reading it, and so I was more aware of Harry Potter similarities.  Either way, really the way that I felt like it was similar was just with the set up of the characters and some of the behaviours of other characters.

This book is quite a bit shorter than the first one in the series so events play out quite fast.  There were a couple of interesting developments in the plot.  There were a couple of things that I wasn't expecting to happen but thought they were definitely interesting.  That being said, I felt like there were a couple of questions left unanswered and while some of them will be answered in other books, I felt as though there were one or two events that happened in the beginning of the book that were just glossed over.  There was a particular comment from Alastair Hunt that made me wonder about a certain event but it was never addressed and I felt like that part of the story had been finished up in the end.

I find the magic system to be quite interesting and it's quite fascinating to see the way that magic sort of manifests itself to do with specific elements.

Overall. I thought that The Copper Gauntlet was an entertaining read.  That being said, I feel that the series as a whole is one that I could take or leave.  It isn't completely amazing and wonderful so at this point in time, I have no idea if I will ever pick up the next book in the series when it is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!