Friday, November 6, 2015

Did Not Finish: The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler

Title: The Basic Eight

Author: Daniel Handler

Published: Ecco, 2006

Pages: 416

Summary: Flannery Culp wants you to know the whole story of her spectacularly awful senior year. Tyrants, perverts, tragic crushes, gossip, cruel jokes, and the hallucinatory effects of absinthe -- Flannery and the seven other friends in the Basic Eight have suffered through it all. But now, on tabloid television, they're calling Flannery a murderer, which is a total lie. It's true that high school can be so stressful sometimes. And it's true that sometimes a girl just has to kill someone. But Flannery wants you to know that she's not a murderer at all -- she's a murderess.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: This is my first ever did not finish review.  I had a big internal debate about whether I should even write about this book because I didn't finish it.  However, 212 pages of a 380 page book is good enough for me.  Plus, I feel as though I need to get my thoughts out about this book, because it is bothering me.

So, I adored Daniel Handler writing as Lemony Snicket.  A series of Unfortunate Events is one of my favourite middle grade series of all time.  Because of this, I decided to pick up his YA novel, The Basic Eight, even though I do have quite a few reservations about reading YA these days.

The book starts off interesting enough.  From the beginning we know that Flannery is going to kill Adam, and as we read on we are going to find out how she did it.  So the book is basically, the events of Flannery's life up to and I believe after she kills Adam.

There is so much teen drama and angst to the point where it drove me crazy.  Flannery was obsessed with this guy but he didn't like her back so she used some other guy and all this other drama.  I decided to keep reading because I was curious as to how she ended up getting to the point where she killed Adam.

I never got to that point because I just couldn't take all of the crap anymore.  So many people have described this book as dark.  I didn't find it dark, I found it to be pathetic.  I didn't care about Flannery and her friends.  I don't even care that she killed a guy.  

I just had to stop reading this book because I was dreading picking it up every time I sat down to read.  It just frustrated me how the characters acted so I just didn't want to finish this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!