Friday, October 2, 2015

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Title: The Silkworm

Author: Robert Galbraith

Published: Sphere, 2014

Pages: 456

Series: Book 2, Cormoran Strike

Summary: May contain spoilers!  When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, she just thinks he has gone off by himself for a few days - as he has done before - and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realises. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were published it would ruin lives - so there are a lot of people who might want to silence him.
And when Quine is found brutally murdered in bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any he has encountered before . . .  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: The Cuckoo's Calling was the first book I read this year and is definitely one of my favourites so I was definitely keen to pick up the second book, The Silkworm.

Like the first book, I felt like The Silkworm was a slow burning mystery and that was fine with me because it meant that I could just take my time with it and really enjoy the book.  I also felt like I could examine a bunch of the clues and try and solve the mystery of whodunnit.

Alas, as with the first book, I feel like Galbraith throws in so many red herrings that I did not guess who the murderer was.  I had come up with my own theory about the who and why but it wasn't to be.  I was actually a bit surprised at who it was as it had slipped under my radar.

The Silkworm is more of a book where things are alluded to but never revealed until the very end, so you have to keep a close eye on everything and do some thinking outside the box to try and guess at what is happening.  I really enjoy that aspect.

I feel as though The Silkworm was really enjoyable but because I loved the Cuckoo's Calling so much, I think I had too high expectations of this one.  So while I really enjoyed this one, I think I liked The Cuckoo's Calling a little more.  It will be interesting to see what the third book, Career of Evil will be like.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca, looks like a fab book! It would be great if you added your review to the Books You Loved: October collection over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!