Friday, October 30, 2015

The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Title: The Iron Trial

Author: Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Published: Corgi Books, 2015

Pages: 400

Series: Book 1, Magisterium

Summary: Most kids would do anything to pass the Iron Trial.

Not Callum Hunt. He wants to fail.

All his life, Call has been warned by his father to stay away from magic. If he succeeds at the Iron Trial and is admitted into the Magisterium, he is sure it can only mean bad things for him.

So he tries his best to do his worst – and fails at failing.

Now the Magisterium awaits him. It’s a place that’s both sensational and sinister, with dark ties to his past and a twisty path to his future.
The Iron Trial is just the beginning, for the biggest test is still to come . . .  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Every now and again I enjoy a good middle grade book.  Especially ones filled with magic.  I had heard a few things about this book and I do enjoy Holly Black's writing so I thought I would give this book a go and see what I thought.

The concept is a mixture of new things and things we have seen before.  It's about a boy who is chosen to go to a magical school and interesting things happen from there.  I quite liked the way the magic was presented and also the way the classes were taught was quite unique.

A lot of the reviews I read for this book and a lot of people seemed to think of this book as a rip-off of Harry Potter. I have to say that I felt like this book reminded me more of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, than anything.  And only if The Name of the Wind was written for a younger audience and had a lot of its components stripped down.  Really, I feel like if this book sounds interesting enough then there's no harm in giving it a try.

I thought the ending was interesting.  It wasn't quite what I had expected and I am a little curious as to how things play out.  That being said, while the story was enjoyable, I'm not entirely sure if I enjoyed it enough that I want to invest my time in reading the entire series.  It will take a few years as I see there are meant to be about five books in the series.

Overall, I thought The Iron Trial was a fun and interesting read.  I have the second book in the series so I will be picking that up at some point soon.  At the moment I feel like I could take it or leave it in terms of this series so we will see if the second book picks up to be just that little bit more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!