Friday, October 9, 2015

Glyph by Percival Everett

Title: Glyph

Author: Percival Everett

Published: Faber and Faber, 2004

Pages: 208

Summary: Mute by choice, and able to read complex philosophical treatises and compose passable short stories while still in the crib, baby Ralph does not consider himself a genius-- because he is unable to drive. Plenty of others, however, want a stake in this precocious child prodigy. Among the most fiendish are Dr. Steimmel, the psychiatrist to whom his bewildered parents first take him, and her assistant Boris; Dr. Davis and her illegal chimps; and not-so-sweet Nanna, the secret agent. All have plans for Ralph, and no one wants to share the poor infant who misses his mother and does not take kindly to his new role as "Defense Stealth Operative." Throughout the ensuing nation-wide chase of which he is the center, Ralph ponders on the theories of literary form-- and comes to some surprising conclusions of his own that perhaps only a baby could dream up.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I had no idea what to expect with this book but it sounded like it could be interesting so I picked it up and read through it.

It took me quite a while to get into this book and I feel like it also took me a while to read this book.  It's only just over 200 pages but it's kind of content heavy.  In the beginning I found the book to be a little confusing but as I got used to the book I was able to figure out a bit more about what was happening.

The most interesting aspect of this book is that the protagonist is a baby.  A very smart baby at that too.  Now, his story was really interesting.  That part of the book is what had me sucked in the most.  It was a little bit suspenseful because I had no idea what was going to happen to Ralph and where the book would take me.

Then there were the other chapters where Ralph, (the baby), was basically talking about literary theory and philosophy and other interesting theoretical concepts.  I thought this was quite interesting but not every part of it was interesting to me.  I think that as I progressed further with the book, those parts didn't bother me as much.

Overall, I quite liked Glyph but I did feel that I may have enjoyed it a little more if I knew more about literary theory as it seemed like this book had quite a lot of references and criticisms of literary theory. It was definitely an interesting experience, and I am glad that I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!