Friday, October 16, 2015

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

Title: Ghostwritten

Author: David Mitchell

Published: Sceptre, 2000

Pages: 448

Summary: Oblivious to the bizarre ways in which their lives intersect, nine characters-a terrorist in Okinawa, a record-shop clerk in Tokyo, a money-laundering British financier in Hong Kong, an old woman running a tea shack in China, a transmigrating "noncorpum" entity seeking a human host in Mongolia, a gallery-attendant-cum-art-thief in Petersburg, a drummer in London, a female physicist in Ireland, and a radio deejay in New York-hurtle toward a shared destiny of astonishing impact.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After watching the Cloud Atlas film, I decided that I wanted to read David Mitchell's books and then after hearing more about them I decided that I should read them in order of publication.  So, here I am starting with Ghostwritten, which I have been told is not the best of David Mitchell's books.


Ghostwritten is basically set up like a collection of ten short stories, each one focusing on a certain character and part of what is happening in their lives.


The first few pages of this book were pretty confusing and I felt like I wasn't enjoying it very much.  I sat the book down for a couple of days after I read the first few pages and then I picked it back up and made myself read through the first story.  Once I got to the second story/chapter, that one was a lot more interesting and I quite enjoyed it.  I'm not going to go through my experiences with every chapter but I will say that it was a bit of a roller coaster.  Some of them were interesting but others were more confusing than interesting or they were just kind of boring.


Really, this book was somewhat interesting while I was reading it but whenever I sat it down it was just difficult to pick back up.  I just found myself doing other things instead of reading it.  In the end I got to the last four chapters and I had a feeling that I knew where the book was going to go so I sat down one night to just finish the book.

I have to say that I enjoyed David Mitchell's writing and it was interesting to see how and where characters connected, but I did feel like the stories in this one were a little boring at times.

Overall, I feel like I could appreciate David Mitchell's writing, but the story itself had so many ups and downs for me.  This was my first foray into literary fiction and David Mitchell's writing but I am definitely looking forward to reading more of David Mitchell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!