Monday, October 12, 2015

Dangerously Dark by Colette London

Title: Dangerously Dark

Author: Colette London

Published: Kensington, September 2015

Pages: 352

Series: Book 2, A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery

Summary: Chocolate-whisperer Hayden Mundy Moore has just arrived in Portland, Oregon, where she's about to scarf soufflés and sip cacao-based cocktails at her friend's engagement party. Fresh from nabbing her first candy-covered killer, the last thing Hayden wants to do is mix her love of chocolate with criminal mischief again. But then the groom-to-be turns up dead before beginning his renowned Chocolate-After-Dark tour. . .

Hayden's friends insist that Declan's death was a freak accident, but she knows there's no mistaking the bitter aftertaste of homicide. In the midst of habañero hot chocolate and mocha-chunk gelato, a choco-crazed killer waits to strike again. Hayden will need to use more than her extraordinarily gifted taste buds to bring this murderer to justice, but she just might have bitten off more than she can chew in the process. . .  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I honestly did not think I would be picking up this book, as I had mixed feelings about the first book in the series, but I decided to give this book a chance. 

I think my biggest issue with the first book was the characters had really big personalities and they didn't have personalities that I liked either.  I felt like in this book they were a bit more toned down so I felt like it was better.  However, I just don't really like Hayden Mundy Moore, it's really hard to say why, but there's something about her that bothers me and usually I can ignore that but in this book I found it detracted a little from the story.

In terms of the mystery, I liked how it got into things fairly quickly and I have to say that I did manage to guess who the murderer was.  There were so many clues leading to different people but this time I was able to guess correctly.  

The chocolate aspect in this book was pretty interesting but I felt like it wasn't touched upon as much in this one as it usually is.  However, the recipes in the back of the book sound really amazing and I need to try and make some at some point.

Overall, I enjoyed Dangerously Dark but I felt like something was missing.  That being said, I am curious about Hayden's next adventure so I'll definitely pick up the next book when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!