Monday, September 14, 2015

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

Title: The Big Over Easy

Author: Jasper Fforde

Published: Penguin, 2006 (First published 2005)

Pages: 383

Series: Book 1, Nursery Crimes

Summary: Meet Inspector Jack Spratt, family man and head of the Nursery Crime Division. He’s investigating the murder of ovoid D-class nursery celebrity Humpty Dumpty, found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Yes, the big egg is down, and all those brittle pieces sitting in the morgue point to foul play.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have been on a mystery kick the last couple of weeks so when I was reorganizing my shelves and found this one sitting there, I decided it was time to pick it up.  


I'm not sure if it was because of the cosy mysteries I had been reading or because this book is about nursery rhyme characters, but I found myself to be really surprised by the contents of this book.  I don't mind swearing and heavier content in books but I guess I just wasn't really expecting this book to have anything remotely dark.  Honestly, I thought this was just going to be a really light and fun read.


I had to put this book down for a while because I was finding it a little hard to read through.  It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't something that I was enjoying and I just felt that I wasn't interested in it.  I sat it down to go back to it because I thought maybe I just wasn't feeling it because I wanted a cosy mystery which this wasn't.

There are a lot of nursery rhyme references in here and I quite enjoyed that aspect, and there were a few subtle references which I thought quite funny.  However, I did feel as though there were so many nursery rhyme references being jammed into the book that it started to detract from the story a little.

After picking the book up a second time after giving it a bit of a break, I went in feeling refreshed and unfortunately I kept finding that as I was trying to read the book my mind would start wandering and I would start drifting away from the book.

I carried on reading through the book because I was still a little curious about the mystery aspect.  I have to say, that I had guessed a little at how the story may play out and to be honest, I just didn't find it to be that exciting.

Unfortunately, The Big Over Easy was just not a book for me.  I just couldn't get interested in the characters who were trying to follow the mystery, and I found the mystery aspect to be unexciting to me.  I just really couldn't get into the story as I felt like the nursery rhyme aspect was everywhere but at the same time Jasper Fforde tried really hard to make it seem like a normal crime novel, which I just found to be jarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!