Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Title: Scarlet

Author: Marissa Meyer

Published: Feiwel and Friends, 2013

Pages: 452

Series: Book 2, The Lunar Chronicles

Summary: May contain spoilers! Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. 

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: It had been a while since I had read Cinder so I couldn't completely remember everything that had happened.  However, I did remember that I really enjoyed it.  I was a little nervous about reading Scarlet as I haven't really been getting into many young adult novels lately.  Thankfully, I found Scarlet to be a rare exception.

Scarlet was such a fun and interesting read.  In this book we're introduced to three new main characters, Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne.  I liked all three of them.  They were their own characters and all three of them had unique personalities.  I have to say that I really like how both Scarlet and Cinder can take care of themselves and don't require rescuing from all the guys.

Scarlet jumps between what Scarlet and Wolf are doing, and what Cinder and Thorne are doing.  I liked this as it kept me wanting to read to see how the other characters are doing.

I loved the parallels between Scarlet and the story of Little Red Riding Hood.  There were so many interesting little snippets that made the book all the more enjoyable.  I do find that I quite enjoy fairy tale retellings.  The science fiction addition also just makes it all the more unique and very enjoyable.

I have to say that I really did enjoy reading Scarlet and that I have picked these books up again at a pretty good time, given that the final book comes out later in the year.  I will definitely be picking up Cress sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!