Friday, August 28, 2015

Red Rain by R. L. Stine

Title: Red Rain

Author: R. L. Stine

Published: Touchstone, October 2012

Pages: 371

Summary: Travel writer Lea Sutter finds herself on a small island off the coast of South Carolina, the wrong place at the wrong time. A merciless, unanticipated hurricane cuts a path of destruction through the island and Lea barely escapes with her life.

In the storm’s aftermath, she discovers two orphaned boys – twins. Filled with a desire to do something to help, to make something good of all she witnessed, Lea impulsively decides to adopt them. The boys, Samuel and Daniel, seem amiable and immensely grateful; Lea’s family back on Long Island – husband Mark, a child psychologist, and their two children, Ira and Elena – aren’t quite so pleased. But even they can’t anticipate the twins’ true nature – or predict that, within a few weeks’ time, Mark will wind up implicated in two brutal murders, with the police narrowing in.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: After having read Goosebumps and Fear Street when I was younger I was interested in reading an adult novel by R. L. Stine.  I honestly didn't have the highest expectations for this book though because it was on clearance when I bought it and it was fairly new when I bought it too.

I feel as though this book was pretty dull for the most part.  I would read a few pages and then sit the book down because I was bored.  I felt like apart from the very beginning it took until almost 150 pages into the book to actually get to anything slightly gory.

If I wasn't reading this book, not only for entertainment but also as research into what horror novels are like and to get a feel for the genre I would have put this book down.  I have to say that this book gave me some ideas about how not to write a horror novel, or at least it told me what I didn't like in a horror novel, which is good.

There were so many cliches in this book that I had to keep rolling my eyes whenever something new came up.  I felt like the majority of the book was extremely predictable because of this.  I have to say that I did get one surprise as there was one thing I didn't see coming but to be fair that was probably because I kept losing my focus on the book because I found it to be pretty dull.

Sadly, this did not at all live up to the Goosebumps and Fear Street stories that used to scare me.  I don't like to be so hard on this book, but really it just wasn't that great.  I can see why I managed to get it so cheaply now.  It just was not a book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!