Friday, August 7, 2015

Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death by M. C. Beaton

Title: Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death

Author: M. C. Beaton

Published: Robinson Publishing, 2010 (First published 1998)

Pages: 265

Series: Book 7, Agatha Raisin

Summary: May contain spoilers! This time, the feisty sleuth stumbles upon the victim of an unnatural death in Cotswold village's famous natural spring. Who was the unlucky corpse? The Ancombe Parish Council chairman-and the only uncommitted member voting on whether to allow the Ancombe Water Company to tap into the town's spring. Add ex-fiance James, watery politicians, and slippery entrepreneurs to the mix, and you have Agatha up to her neck in a murky murder mystery.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After just recently finishing the previous book in the series and being on a mystery binge I was quite interested in reading The Wellspring of Death.  I was also a little bit apprehensive because I wasn't a huge fan of the previous book, Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist.


In the Wellspring of Death Agatha is back at home in the Cotswolds so I was hoping that it would be a bit better than the previous book.  Thankfully, it was because there were more of the familiar characters that I like and so it just felt more familiar and a more comfortable setting.


Usually with this series it takes a while for the murder victim to show up, but in this instance it happened in the first few pages.  From there Agatha was off and running on her murder investigation.  I followed along with everything that was being presented and I had a specific person in mind for who the murderer was.  Unfortunately I was wrong with my suspicions.  I was a little disappointed with this just because I was really hoping that this one person had done it because I didn't particularly like their character.  I did also feel like there were a couple of loose ends with that character that made them seem more suspicious.


I did feel as though this book was quite a bit better than the previous one.  A lot of the things that annoyed me about the previous book were not in this one.  So, for now I think that I will pick up the next book in the future and see how I go from there.  Overall, I do find the Agatha Raisin series to be quite a fun and interesting mystery series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!