Monday, July 27, 2015

Speaking in Bones by Kathy Reichs

Title: Speaking in Bones

Author: Kathy Reichs

Published: William Heinemann, 30 July 2015

Pages: 320

Series: Book 18, Temperance Brennan

Purchase Link:
Book Depository*

Summary: Forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan investigates what looks to be a typical missing person case, only to find herself digging up bones possibly left by a serial killer, a cult, or perhaps something not entirely of this world.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  I'm not normally one to read books in a series out of order, but with the Temperance Brennan books it doesn't really matter about reading them in order unless you care about small spoilers such as the relationship and life statuses of the characters.  These things never bother me so I had no qualms about reading book 18 even though I have only read five of the other books in the series.

Speaking in Bones was pretty much exactly what I needed.  It was so good.  I started reading it and had a lot of trouble putting it down because every chapter made me want to know more about what happened next.  It was so well written and it just got me really excited about reading.  I do wonder if my love of this book had something to do with the fact that I have been reading some books I haven't been enjoying as much lately, but Speaking in Bones was really good.

The mystery aspect was so interesting.  I really love how a lot of the science is explained, and it's like being in a lab with Temperance, learning about forensic anthropology techniques.  I also really enjoyed that as Brennan was discovering information about Web Sleuths, I too was learning more about them.

I thought it was funny that a couple of times in the book, Temperance Brennan referred to people being interested in web sleuthing as being enthusiasts of shows such as CSI and Bones.  Although, I feel like if that was bought up in every recent book, it would probably get a little old.

I had taken a break from reading the Temperance Brennan series because the first three had followed a really formulaic pattern that I was getting a little tired of.  However, Speaking in Bones has renewed my excitement about this series and has left me wanting to read more.  This book is proof that this series gets better over time.  I would definitely recommend Speaking in Bones and cannot wait to go back and read more Temperance Brennan.

Source: Penguin Random House for Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!