Friday, July 31, 2015

Poltergeeks by Sean Cummings

Title: Poltergeeks

Author: Sean Cummings


Published: Strange Chemistry, 2012


Pages: 320


Series: Book 1, Poltergeeks


Summary: 15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it's pretty obvious to Julie there's a supernatural connection. 


In fact, there's a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. After a large-scale paranormal assault on Julie's high school, her mother falls victim to the spell Endless Night. Now it's a race against time to find out who is responsible or Julie won't just lose her mother's soul, she'll lose her mother's life.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:  This book has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now, and this year I have made it my goal to read as many of these old books gathering dust as I can.  My reading tastes have changed a bit since I purchased Poltergeeks and lately young adult books have not been my kind of book.  So when I decided that this was to be my next read I didn't have particularly high expectations.

Needless to say, I actually quite enjoyed reading Poltergeeks.  It was just a nice fun and light read. I think that my low expectations of the book worked in my favour as I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

There are quite a lot of cliches and things that are typical of a lot of young adult books but I felt like the mystery and supernatural side of this book kind of outweighed those parts and I found myself having fun.

While this is quite a light read, I was reading it at night time by myself and I was pretty tired, so I did find myself getting a little nervous at some parts.  I will admit that it was a little bit scary.  That being said, I think it was just the situation of having read a few other scary stories earlier in the day that I was a little on edge.  Poltergeeks isn't meant to be overly frightening.  The tone really is quite fun and light-hearted.

In all honesty, there isn't a lot I have to say about Poltergeeks, other than it was a light-hearted and fun read.

So, will I read the second book in the series?  At this point I'm still not sure.  On the one hand this was quite a fun read, but on the other, there are so many other books that I want to read before it that really it will just depend on whether or not I feel like it one day.  If you are interested in reading this book and/or its sequel I would suggest purchasing them sooner rather than later as the publishing company, Strange Chemistry are not in business anymore, so the books that are out there, are the last going to be printed, unless they get picked up by another publishing company some time in the future.

1 comment:

Comments are always awesome!