Monday, July 6, 2015

Passing Strange by Daniel Waters

Title: Passing Strange 

Author: Daniel Waters

Published: Simon Pulse, 2010

Pages: 386

Series: Book 3, Generation Dead

Summary: Karen DeSonne always passed as a normal teenager - and now that she's dead, she's still passing - this time, as alive. When her dead friends are accused of a high profile murder and forced into hiding, she has to prove their innocence.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  I have had this book for about five years now, and had read the first two books in the series about six or seven years ago.  It has been so long that these books are now out of print.  So, I figured that I should probably read Passing Strange now.  I'm glad that I did too.


Having not read the previous two books in the series for quite a few years, I was actually pretty surprised at how well I remembered events.  There were one or two things that I hadn't fully remembered that I was reminded of throughout Passing Strange.


The story was quite interesting and I like the way this book series talks about and brings to mind ideas of human rights and how people who are different are treated differently to others.  The book also brings up issues of sexuality, depression and suicide.

I have to say that I thought the actions of Karen were a bit odd at times.  I don't want to give away any spoilers but I felt as though she didn't treat her friends in a very good way.

I thought the story went back in time a little weirdly.  There wasn't any warning when Karen would start reminiscing and so sometimes I wasn't aware that was what was happening.


The ending left me feeling fairly confused.  There was this whole sub-plot going on throughout the book in which Karen kept thinking of this one person and then at the end the name of the person was different to what it had been the entire time.  I can only assume that it was an error that the editors managed to miss, otherwise there was something I completely missed.

Overall, I liked Passing Strange but I didn't think it was overly wonderful.  I am glad that I have now finished the series, however.

My thoughts on the other books:

Generation Dead
Kiss of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!