Friday, July 24, 2015

Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist by M. C. Beaton

Title: Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist

Author: M. C. Beaton

Published: Constable and Robinson, 2010 (first published 1997)

Pages: 292

Series: Book 6, Agatha Raisin

Summary: May contain spoilers! Agatha Raisin leaves her sleepy Cotswolds village of Carsely to pursue love - and finds murder. Spurned at the altar, she follows her fleeing fiance James Lacey to north Cyprus, where, instead of enjoying the honeymoon they'd planned, they witness the murder of an obnoxious tourist in a disco. Intrigue and a string of murders surround the unlikely couple, in a plot as scorching a the Cypriot sun!  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  I've been on a cosy mystery kick lately so I was pretty eager to pick up the next book in the Agatha Raisin series, as I always find those to be quite fun.  


James annoyed me so much and he always has really.  I just wanted to go up to Agatha and to tell her to forget about him because he is not a very nice person.  I have no idea what she sees in him and I feel as though the whole Agatha pining after James Lacey thing is getting to be a little tiring.  It's one of the least likable things about the book.


I felt like the mystery in this book was put on the backburner a lot and while there were the odd mentions of it, there just wasn't enough delving into the mystery to keep me fully interested.  I really felt like the majority of the book was Agatha chasing James, then messing around with someone else so James would get mad and act weird.  That part just did not interest me in the slightest and it's really what made me dislike the book.


By the time I got to the end of the book I no longer cared about who the murderer was because really I just wanted the whole awful affair to be over.  I had a fair idea about who it was but at the same time I didn't really care which character did it.


I think one of the other issues I had with this book was that it didn't take place in the village of Carsely and so there weren't the usual cast of characters that I have come to find fun and enjoyable.  This book could have been exciting as it took place in Cyprus and Agatha could have explored and been more excited about it but really she just had a one track mind throughout the entire book.


I have to say that this was definitely my least favourite book in the series and I'm not sure how I'll feel about the rest of the books.  I own the next book in the series already so I will see how I feel about that one, but at this point I feel as though I will probably take a break or just stop reading this series, depending on how I feel about The Wellspring of Death.  Really, there are so many other cosy mystery series out there that are more exciting and interesting to me that I'm not sure I want to waste much more time on this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!