Monday, April 20, 2015

Sophomore Year is Greek to Me by Meredith Zeitlin

Title: Sophomore Year is Greek to Me

Author: Meredith Zeitlin


Published: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, 21 April 2015


Pages: 336


Series: Companion to Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters


Purchase Links:
Book Depository*

Summary: High school sophomore Zona Lowell has lived in New York City her whole life, and plans to follow in the footsteps of her renowned-journalist father. But when he announces they’re moving to Athens for six months so he can work on an important new story, she's devastated— he must have an ulterior motive. See, when Zona's mother married an American, her huge Greek family cut off contact. But Zona never knew her mom, and now she’s supposed to uproot her entire life and meet possibly hostile relatives on their turf? Thanks... but no thanks.   (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  After reading Zeitlin's previous novel, Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters, I was looking forward to reading this one.  


The characters were really odd and not in a good way.  Just their actions were so strange that I couldn't help but feel like they really weren't Zona's friends.  That being said, there are a couple of serious issues bought up in the book and I felt like Zona handled them pretty well.


There were a couple of things that made me laugh out loud.  There were just some moments that were pretty funny, however, I felt like the overall tone of the book wasn't to be humorous, at least it wasn't as humorous as Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters.


Unfortunately, I felt like this book was just ok.  I think that for me, I'm just really not interested in Young Adult novels anymore as I find them lacking the depth that I would like.  If you're a fan of contemporary YA fiction then I would definitely suggest checking this one out.


Source: Netgalley for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!