Friday, April 10, 2015

Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes

Title: Broken Monsters

Author: Lauren Beukes

Published: HarperCollins, 2014

Pages: 520

Summary: Detective Gabriella Versado has seen a lot of bodies, but this one is unique even by Detroit's standards: half-boy, half-deer, somehow fused. The cops nickname him "Bambi," but as stranger and more disturbing bodies are discovered, how can the city hold on to a reality that is already tearing at its seams?

If you're Detective Versado's over-achieving teenage daughter, Layla, you commence a dangerous flirtation with a potential predator online. If you are the disgraced journalist, Jonno, you do whatever it takes to investigate what may become the most heinous crime story in memory. If you're Thomas Keen, you'll do what you can to keep clean, keep your head down, and try to help the broken and possibly visionary artist obsessed with setting loose The Dream, tearing reality, assembling the city anew.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: When I saw this one being advertised last year I was quite intrigued and looking forward to reading it.  I saw that a lot of people were talking about how this was a really messed up thriller which is what I was looking for at the time.  

It took me a little while to get around to reading it, however, when I started it I got to about 150 pages in no time and then decided that I just wasn't feeling it too much so I put it down.  Basically, when I decided I wasn't feeling it, it was because it was a little slow going in terms of action and there were quite a lot of characters to keep track of.

It took me months to pick it back up again, and when I did I felt like things had picked up a little in terms of pacing, once I kept going some more.  However, I still found myself having trouble with keeping track of all the characters still.

I managed to read through the entire book in just over a day, because while it is just over 500 pages, the text is pretty big and the language is easy enough to fly through.  However, my enjoyment of the book didn't really change too much.

The story wasn't as gruesome as I was hoping for; there were a couple of things the murderer did that was a bit gross but the details were glossed over so I wasn't really feeling it.

There was this added bit of magical realism added at the very end which I just didn't care for at all.  I thought it was a little weird that it was just there all of a sudden.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed with Broken Monsters, it just wasn't what I had thought it would be and I felt like there were just too many characters for me to get deeply engrossed in the story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!