Friday, March 27, 2015

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Title: I Am The Messenger

Author: Markus Zusak

Published: Alfred A. Knopf, 2006 (first published 2002)

Pages: 357

Summary: Ed Kennedy is an underage cabdriver without much of a future. He's pathetic at playing cards, hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey, and utterly devoted to his coffee-drinking dog, the Doorman. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery.

That's when the first ace arrives in the mail.

That's when Ed becomes the messenger.
Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary) until only one question remains: Who's behind Ed's mission?  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I have wanted to read this book for the longest time.  I have only heard good things about I Am the Messenger and the synopsis makes it sound really intriguing.  So I randomly decided to pick it up off my shelf one day and give it a go.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't really get into I am the Messenger very much.  It's hard to explain but I just felt like I couldn't connect with any of the characters and they just seemed like people I didn't particularly care about.

I tried to be interested in the story and when I picked it up I felt a little intrigued by what was happening but at the same time I was kind of bored most of the time.  I also felt like the writing would gloss over things sometimes and so I would miss out on some of the details.  It would leave me a little confused for a minute or two.

The ending was just odd.  I don't want to go into it and give away spoilers but it sort of made me a little annoyed at the actions of some of the characters.  It also just left me feeling a little bit empty.

Perhaps I missed the entire point of the book or it could just be that I am the Messenger just wasn't the book for me.  I went into it thinking that it was going to be a thriller but it really isn't, it's more of a contemporary story which I don't always like at the best of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!