Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Star Ratings

I always debate about whether I want to use star ratings on posts because there is so much room for interpretation on exactly what the star ratings mean.  So today, I thought I would talk a little about my use of star ratings.

Before I start talking about my experiences with star ratings I thought it would be a good idea to explain my interpretations of the star ratings.
1 star - I didn't like this book, I hated it and I would not recommend it to anybody.
2 stars - This book was ok, I didn't hate it but I didn't much like it either.  I wouldn't read the sequel and probably be very cautious about reading another book by the same author.
3 stars - I liked this book.  There were however, a few things about it that made me just like it and not really like it or love it.
4 stars - I really liked this book.  There were just one or two things that stopped me from absolutely loving this book.
5 stars - I loved this book.  It is a book I would definitely re-read and wouldn't hesitate to read anything more by the author.  They don't have to be perfect.



I used to use star ratings on the blog a really long time ago but stopped after a while because sometimes I found it hard to put a star rating to a book.  Especially when other people saw my ratings as different to how they interpret it.

I did however, continue to rate the books on Goodreads and also add my reviews on Goodreads along with the star ratings.  I did this because Goodreads is really easy to give star ratings on and also Goodreads tends to prefer if there are star ratings with reviews.

One day however, I had rated a book 3 stars on Goodreads because I liked it but didn't love it.  The book captured my interest when I was reading it but whenever I put it down it took me a while to get back to it.  The author saw my review and left quite a rude comment stating that I had rated badly and my review doesn't dictate the same thing as my review therefore my review is a piece of trash and should be taken with a grain of salt.  I was really upset about this because it wasn't too long after I had started blogging so not sure what to do I deleted the comment and decided to not put star ratings up on Goodreads.  I hadn't until now.

Now, I am putting star ratings on my books on Goodreads for this year for a couple of reasons.  The first being that I want to help Goodreads by putting the star ratings so they can use it for statistical purposes and recommending books to others.  The other is that I want to be able to keep track of how I felt about my books a bit easier at the end of the year.

What I'm curious about is do you use star ratings and if so why or why not?

2 comments:

  1. I do. And i'm super strict on them too. I think I've only given a 5 once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some books are harder to rate than others, so I don't use them religiously. However over the years, it's become easier for me to know the difference between a 3 and a 3.5. I too like you do not give 5 stars often!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!