Monday, February 9, 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Title: Red Queen

Author: Victoria Aveyard

Published: 10 February 2015, Orion

Pages: 320

Series: Book 1, Red Queen Trilogy

Purchase:
Book Depository*

Summary: This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:  The main reason that I wanted to read this book was because of the cover.  It just looks so amazing and I love it.   The second reason I wanted to read this book is because the synopsis sounds really good and really interesting.

While I feel like the story was interesting, I also felt like I had read it before.  I feel like I've read too much YA dystopian and so if I do pick up the next book, it won't be for a little while because I kind of need some time away from YA dystopian novels.  When I read the synopsis I actually thought it might have been more on the side of fantasy but it wasn't as fantasy driven as I would have liked.

As I was reading the book I felt like I didn't really have that many feelings towards the characters.  I felt like they were just people and they were doing their thing.  Which was fine.  I just didn't have any strong feelings towards them.  Except that towards the end I thought that Mare was so stupid.  Just the things that she did, I was just surprised at how she really didn't think anything through.

I am really curious about how Mare has these powers but nobody else in her family did and also just how she does, being a Red.  I also thought that the different silver powers were really interesting too.  I'm always fascinated by magic systems and things.  

I read something that described this book as being like Graceling meets The Selection.  I haven't read The Selection, but I will tell you that I feel like Red Queen felt a little bit more like The Hunger Games meets Divergent meets Pokemon.

I feel like Red Queen, was just ok.  I think I am just not interested in dystopian anymore and so I just found it hard to really get into the book.  I do however, think that those who like The Hunger Games and Divergent will probably like this one. 

Source: NetGalley for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!