Friday, February 6, 2015

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Title: Real Murders

Author: Charlaine Harris

Published: Gollancz, 2012

Pages: 202

Series: Book 1, Aurora Teagarden

Summary: Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side--and crime buffs. One of whom is Aurora Roe Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club. It's a harmless pastime--until one of the Club's members is killed.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  After reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book last year I was interested in reading more from Charlaine Harris.  I also happened to be in a mystery mood and I stumbled upon this book on Goodreads so decided to pick it up.

I managed to read Real Murders in a few hours because it was so good.  The mystery starts off almost straight away and from there I was drawn into this murder investigation which revolved around other murders that had been committed in the past.  I felt like the whole premise was just highly intriguing.

Real Murders wasn't what I expected it to be.  I was kind of expecting a really light-hearted cosy mystery and while it is light-hearted, there were a few more murders than what I was expecting which I actually found to be really interesting.  There was a little bit more gore than what I was expecting too but that was fine.  I feel like it was not what I was expecting, but in a really good way.

In terms of whether or not I managed to guess who the murderer was, I managed to.  I had my suspicions after about halfway through the book and I was really excited to see that I was right when I had finished.  I feel like there were quite a few really good red herrings in the book too which just made it all the more interesting.

I liked Aurora as a character.  I think she has the coolest job ever as a librarian and while I felt there wasn't a whole lot of depth to her character I think that there will be more depth later as the series progresses.

I really enjoyed Real Murders by Charlaine Harris and I am definitely looking forward to read the next book in the series as it will be very interesting to see what direction the second book takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!