Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Criminal Confections by Colette London

Title: Criminal Confections

Author: Colette London

Published: 27 January 2015, Kensington

Pages: 320

Series: Book 1, Criminal Confections

Purchase:
Book Depository*

Summary: Hayden Mundy Moore is an expert on everything chocolate, helping clients develop new products and revamp recipes until they're irresistible. But sometimes, a dash of murder finds its way into the mix. . .

Hayden Mundy Moore has bushwhacked through African jungles and haggled in exotic markets to find the finest cacao beans and the most flavorful blends. It's thrilling work but rarely dangerous--until a colleague turns up dead at the exclusive chocolate-themed LemaƮtre resort spa in San Francisco.
Adrienne Dowling's heart attack is blamed on an accidental overdose of the secret ingredient used in LemaƮtre Chocolates' new line. Hayden can't believe that conscientious Adrienne would make that mistake. And between chocolate body scrubs, cocoa mud baths, and a non-stop frenzy of chocolate-based treats, Hayden starts to suspect that she, not Adrienne, was the intended target. Finding a killer among the rival chocolatiers and potential suspects won't just be satisfying--it might save her life. . . (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: I've been looking for more cosy mystery series to start and one thing I have found is that I have a fondness for the books about food.  So when I saw this one and saw how it was chocolate themed, I thought it sounded like something I might get into.  However, as soon as I saw that this book had recipes included I got really excited because I do love recipes and making food.

One warning I do have about this book is that it really makes you crave chocolate.  I was sitting down reading it and I felt like I really needed to go and grab some chocolate because there is so much talk about chocolate and descriptions of chocolate and it made me so hungry.  The chocolate aspect however, did also make the story a lot more interesting and it was enough to keep me engaged the whole time.

The characters in this book were kind of strange.  There was a lot of mysterious things about them and some of them seemed more sinister than interesting mysterious.  For instance, Hayden's friend Danny was just so odd and I felt like he was maybe supposed to be all mysterious and sexy but instead I found him to be more sinister of a character and so I didn't particularly like him very much.


Hayden has a really interesting job.  She goes around consulting chocolatiers on how to improve their chocolate and of course she does this secretly because the business doesn't want word to get out that they were having trouble.


One thing that I really liked about this book was that there was a lot of investigation into the mysterious death.  It seemed like around almost every corner Hayden found someone she could question and there was a lot to take in that I really liked that.  It made me really invested in the murder mystery.


I did have an idea of who the murderer was throughout the book, but I couldn't be completely sure.  However, when the reveal happened I was pretty happy that I had managed to guess who the murderer was.  It wasn't totally obvious in the book but I always get a little bit pleased when I manage to guess who the murderer was.

I really enjoyed Criminal Confections and I am definitely going to be picking up the next book as soon as it comes out which looks set to be released in September this year and is titled Dangerously Dark.


Source: NetGalley for Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!