Monday, January 26, 2015

Toured to Death by Hy Conrad

Title: Toured to Death

Author: Hy Conrad

Published: 27 January 2015, Kensington

Pages: 320

Series: Book 1, Amy's Travel Mystery

Purchase Link:
Book Depository*

Summary: While Fanny takes care of the business end of Amy's Travel in New York City, Amy is traipsing around Monte Carlo, managing their first mystery-themed excursion, a road rally in which guests compete to solve a fictional murder along the way. Amy still has reservations about partnering up with her mother. But both women, having lost the men in their lives, need a fresh beginning.

The trip starts off without a hitch. Clues quickly mount, the competition is lively, and just when the suspense is peaking, the writer they hired to script their made-up mystery is found murdered in his New York apartment. Suddenly, on top of running a new venture together, mother and daughter must solve a real-life case of foul play, while trying not to drive each other bonkers. But Amy and Fanny are ready, willing, and Abel to track down a clever killer with some serious emotional baggage, one who will go to any lengths to keep dark secrets from seeing the light of day. . .  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts:  I have just recently discovered the cozy mystery genre and so I have been exploring different books and so I was interested in seeing whether or not this one would be one that I would be adding to my list of awesome cozy mystery series to read.  I have to say though, the main reason that I picked this book up was because Hy Conrad is one of the writers of Monk, one of my all-time favourite television shows.  I kind of had some high expectations for this book and I have to say I was a little let down.

I thought the premise of the book was really awesome.  The first part of the book takes you along with the characters who instead of doing a normal murder mystery dinner, they're actually doing a murder mystery rally in which they gather clues and travel around various parts of Europe to try and solve a murder.  That aspect was just really interesting.  The second part of the book is really interesting as well, there are two murders and Amy and Fanny decide that they would like to help with the investigation.

I felt like none of the characters were particularly interesting.  I just didn't find myself connecting or even really caring about any of the characters.  I just didn't particularly like Amy or Fanny that much.  It wasn't that there wasn't anything to them it was more like, they were just average people.

The other reason I was a little disappointed with the story itself.  It just wasn't for me I suppose.  I thought the premise was really cool, but the execution was a little bit lacking.  I just thought the story was alright but I wasn't overly intrigued by who had committed the murders and why.

However, I didn't guess at who the murderer was and that was something I quite liked.  The reveal was a bit surprising and as someone who reads a lot of mysteries I do find myself often guessing the ending but for this one I was pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I thought that Toured to Death was ok.  It wasn't a book I absolutely loved but I didn't hate it either.  It was an interesting murder mystery but I feel as though I didn't care enough about the characters to want to continue on with the next book in the series, when it comes out.

Source: Netgalley for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!