Friday, January 30, 2015

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Title: The Shadow of the Wind

Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Translator: Lucia Graves

Published: Penguin Books, 2014 (first published 2001)

Pages: 528

Series: Book 1, The Cemetery of Forgotten Books

Summary: Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in what he finds in the “cemetery of lost books,” a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Juli├ín Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: The premise of this book sounded so awesome.  It reminded me a bit of the movie The Ninth Gate which is based on a book called The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte, which while I haven't read the book I did love the movie.  Anyway, needless to say I was very excited to start reading this book.

I felt as though the beginning of the book was a little bit slow but that's because it introduces the characters and is basically setting up the background of Daniel so that you get to know him and know what he is like.  Once you get past the first couple of parts to the story however, the book kind of becomes addictive.

I found myself sitting up until about 3 am one of the nights I was reading it because I just couldn't stop reading.  The mystery gets going and from there it's like there's no stopping.  I found myself just reading more and more because I had to know the mystery behind Julian Carax.  I have to say that I really enjoyed the reveal too.  It was just so interesting how everything fell into place.  I did have some theories about bits and pieces of what had happened and I was glad that some of them were right.

I feel like the only thing that bothered me about this book was that some of the characters did certain actions and didn't really think about the consequences and that part just bugged me a little bit.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this book and thought it was such an interesting read.  I feel like anyone who loves a good mystery story will love reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!