Monday, January 19, 2015

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Title: The Cuckoo's Calling

Author: Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling)

Published: Sphere, 2013

Pages: 449

Series: Book 1, Cormoran Strike

Summary: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide. After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office. 
Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:  I hadn't originally intended to write anything about The Cuckoo's Calling because everyone knows about this book by now.  However, as I was reading it I had quite a few thoughts about it so I figured that I may as well write my thoughts down about this book.

The Cuckoo's Calling is amazing!  Now, at first I thought I would be biased towards the book because of Harry Potter and how much I love that but I seriously think that Cormoran Strike stands on his own and I freaking loved this book.  As a fan of mysteries I feel like this is one that has a place on my favourites shelf.

The writing is really easy to read and there are clues scattered throughout the book and I feel like Cormoran Strike is such a brilliant character and it's so interesting to see all of the pieces of the puzzle falling into place and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

I really liked Robin as a character too, she was smart and brave and I thought the contrasts between her and Strike just made the book that much more interesting.  

In terms of who I thought the killer was, I had my suspicions but I wasn't completely sure who it was until the big reveal.  I was a little surprised at who the killer was but it was also a person that I had, had my suspicions about.  It was a really good reveal.

Needless to say I did indeed love this book and I cannot wait to pick up the sequel The Silkworm.  The Cuckoo's Calling is an amazing mystery series and I think that fans of the genre will love it.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if I'd be biased towards J.K.'s writing too - so I'm glad to hear this one stands on it's own!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!