Monday, December 8, 2014

The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami

Title: The Strange Library

Author: Haruki Murakami


Published: Harvill Secker, 2 December 2014


Pages: 88


Purchase Link:
Book Depository*

Summary: On his way home from school, the young narrator of The Strange Library finds himself wondering how taxes were collected in the Ottoman Empire. He pops into the local library to see if it has a book on the subject. This is his first mistake. Led to a special 'reading room' in a maze under the library by a strange old man, he finds himself imprisoned with only a sheep man, who makes excellent donuts, and a girl, who can talk with her hands, for company. His mother will be worrying why he hasn't returned in time for dinner and the old man seems to have an appetite for eating small boy's brains. How will he escape?  (Taken from Goodreads)


Thoughts: Lately I have been hearing amazing things about Murakami's books and when I read the synopsis of this one I thought that it definitely seemed like something I would be interested in reading.  When the book arrived, I was blown away by how gorgeous it is.  The cover actually has a little card pocket on the front, it isn't just a picture.  Scattered, throughout the book are so many beautiful illustrations and they match up with what's being told in the story.  Not to mention, quite a few of the pages are made up to look like pages of an old library book.  It's definitely really nice to look at.  Ever since I got the book I've been showing to my friends and they too have marvelled at how pretty the book is.


As far as the story goes, I thought it was interesting and reminded me a little bit of Neil Gaiman's books, as it had some dark undertones and the main character was in a situation that he didn't want to be in.  I thought I knew the direction the story was going to be headed in and when I got to the end I was kind of left speechless a little bit.  It definitely left me with something to think about.


The book is really short so it doesn't take too long to fly through but I also found myself going through it a little bit more slowly than what I normally would have, just because I was enjoying it and wanted to savour the story.


I don't have a lot more to say about this book as I feel that would give the story away, but what I can say is that I really enjoyed reading The Strange Library and would highly recommend giving this book a read.


Source: Penguin Random House for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!