Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Snow White Red-Handed by Maia Chance

Title: Snow White Red-Handed

Author: Maia Chance

Published: 4 November 2014, Berkley

Pages: 336

Series: Book 1, Fairy Tale Fatal Mysteries

Summary: 1867: After being fired from her latest variety hall engagement, Ophelia acts her way into a lady’s maid position for a crass American millionaire. But when her new job whisks her off to a foreboding castle straight out of a Grimm tale, she begins to wonder if her fast-talking ways might have been too hasty. The vast grounds contain the suspected remains of Snow White’s cottage, along with a disturbing dwarf skeleton. And when her millionaire boss turns up dead—poisoned by an apple—the fantastic setting turns into a once upon a crime scene.
 To keep from rising to the top of the suspect list, Ophelia fights through a bramble of elegant lies, sinister folklore, and priceless treasure, with only a dashing but mysterious scholar as her ally. And as the clock ticks towards midnight, she’ll have to break a cunning killer’s spell before her own time runs out… (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts:   I've been going on a cosy mystery frenzy lately and so when I saw this one recommended to me on Goodreads I jumped at the chance to read it so purchased it immediately.  The premise of this book sounds so intriguing and makes the book split into two mysteries of sorts.

The first mystery is that of the strange cottage found in the woods and the dwarf skeleton found there.  I felt like this mystery wasn't as looked into as the second mystery but I really loved what there was of it.  The history of what happened to Snow White after the story everyone knows was quite interesting too.

The second mystery is the murder mystery aspect and I felt that this was quite interesting.  There are so many suspects in the book and I'm not sure why but I found it hard to keep track of who each of the people were and it made it harder to figure out who the murderer was.  In the end, the reveal was a surprise to me.

One other thing that sticks out in my mind is that I really love the cover of this book.  There's just something about it that makes me want to pick up the book.

I felt like this book took me a lot longer to read than the usual cosy mystery does and I can't tell if that's because I felt the book switched between characters too quickly so it was hard to follow the story or I just wasn't really feeling the book so much.

Overall, I feel like I liked Snow White, Red-Handed as the premise was really intriguing and I do enjoy mysteries, however, I feel like it could have been a lot more interesting.  I'll be picking up the next book in the series when it comes out however, and we will see what that one is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!