Friday, December 5, 2014

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Title: Dead Until Dark

Author: Charlaine Harris

Published: Gollancz, 2011

Pages: 326

Series: Book 1, Sookie Stackhouse

Summary: Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the kind of guy she's been waiting for all her life.

But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire. Worse than that, hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind.
And when one of Sookie's colleagues is killed, she begins to fear she'll be next ...  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I've had this book for a few years and the other day I just picked it up off the shelf and started reading it.  Needless to say, I couldn't put it down and so I continued on through the book because I was intrigued by the story.

I know the television show, True Blood is based on this series but I've only seen the very first episode of the show.  It did seem pretty similar though.  I think I'll be picking up the television series some point soon though and I believe I'll also be carrying on with the book series at this point too.

One thing that I really loved was that Sookie is a mind reader and it's something I'm always fascinated with.  I really liked how it worked for Sookie too and it made it seem quite realistic too.  There was also another supernatural being in the book and I actually had my suspicions about that character and then it turned out to be right.  I'm interested to see as the series progresses, what other supernatural creatures make an appearance.

The mystery aspect was really interesting.  I was really curious about the murders and while I had some suspicion about who it could possibly be, I felt like I couldn't be completely sure.  When the reveal happened though, I was pleased to see that I was right in my suspicions.

The vampires are very interesting.  I like Bill, it's interesting to see how he's just a casual kind of vampire and then he's friends with some of the more well-known type of vampire, the killer vampires who don't care about humans and separate themselves from humanity.  I also found Eric to be an interesting character, he was very mysterious which just made me want to know a bit more about him.

I really enjoyed Dead Until Dark and can't wait to read the next book in the series.

1 comment:

  1. The True Blood series is really similar to the books at first, but pretty quickly they have completely different plot lines. I love both though (:

    Hope you enjoy the other books in the series!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!