Monday, November 3, 2014

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Title: Dark Places

Author: Gillian Flynn

Published: Phoenix, 2010

Pages: 424

Summary: Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.
Who did massacre the Day family?  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: The premises of Gillian Flynn’s book sound amazing and while I was disappointed with Gone Girl I felt like reading Dark Places because it sounded very intriguing.  Dark Places is the Gillian Flynn novel that I have heard the least about.  Most people I encounter talk about Gone Girl and Sharp Objects more.

I feel as though Dark Places just clicked with me a lot more than Gone Girl.  I thought the premise sounded really good but also the actual story was so intriguing.  I really liked reading this one.  One reason I love this one so much is the mysterious element.  The entire time I found myself sucked into the story wondering who had killed most of the Day family.

One thing I loved about this book was that there were so many different complex ideas about what could have happened.  Every chapter revealed some sort of new information and it kept me reading because I just had to know what would happen.

I had some ideas about what would happen and I can say that some of them were kind of right but the ending was a bit of a surprise too.  I really liked that.  I have to say there were definitely a couple of people that I was sure had something to do with the deaths.

Overall, I thought Dark Places was such a great read.  I think that Gillian Flynn has a really good way of writing awful characters which I really enjoy.  I’m definitely keen to read Sharp Objects.  It will be interesting to see what I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!