Friday, October 3, 2014

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Title: Wildefire

Author: Karsten Knight

Published: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2011

Pages: 393

Series: Book 1, Wildefire

Summary: Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She's struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve's violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California's redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her.

But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn't go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school - being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger - Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood, and she's one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she's got some strange abilities of her own.

With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time...
And when warm and cold fronts collide, there's guaranteed to be a storm.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I had pre-ordered this book and been excited to read it since before it even came out.  Needless to say, since then the other two books have been released, the first two books are in paperback and the third one comes out in paperback in November.  Therefore, it was high time that I get around to reading Wildefire.

Everything about Wildefire is wonderful.  The cover is so beautiful and the jacket has this amazing texture so just touching the book feels amazing.  The story itself is just as awesome.  I think that it took me so long to read this one because I was nervous that it wouldn't be as good as I was hoping.  But it was.  I really loved it.

One thing I have to say is that this book is a little more graphic than the usual YA paranormal stories but I didn't care because I thought it was pretty cool.  It also made the story that much more interesting.  I'm pretty much kicking myself for not reading this book sooner because it is so amazing.  I feel like while there is a little bit more violence and people do die, it kind of makes sense in the grand scheme of the book because the main characters are playing on a level that's above high school politics and coming to terms with who they are and the gifts they have.

There are so many twists and turns that are just so great.  I loved every page of this book.  There are so many interesting factors about the book that I'm not even sure where to start.

I liked Ashline, she wasn't your typical protagonist and she had flaws just like everyone else.  She was also sarcastic and made me laugh so much.  Her sister however, is a completely different story.  Eve is so opposite to Ash that it made for a very different dynamic.  It makes sibling rivalry look like child's play.

I feel as though Wildefire is a great book and I should have read it sooner.  I also feel like everyone needs to read this book!  I'm glad I already have the sequel as I am going to be reading it very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!