Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Talon by Julie Kagawa

Title: Talon

Author: Julie Kagawa

Published: Harlequin Teen, 28 October 2014

Pages: 400

Series: Book one, Talon

Purchase: Book Depository

Summary: Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.
Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Julie Kagawa is one of those authors who have made it to my automatic read list.  The Iron Fey books are all wonderful and The Blood of Eden trilogy is great.  So of course I jumped at the chance to read the latest book, this one all about dragons.

Generally when I start a Julie Kagawa book, I find them to start off slowly and they take a few pages to get into the action.  With Talon however, I found the book to be really interesting from the beginning. 

I found it so easy to just fly through this book because it read as though it was a summer contemporary story which I thought was pretty nice.  I had been reading a few heavy novels lately and thought this was a good, light change of pace. 

I’ve always been a person who didn’t like getting in trouble and so when characters get in situations where they are putting themselves at risk of getting caught and getting in trouble I get really squirmy and want to put the book down because I don’t want things to get intense.  But then I also really want to know what happens next.  The characters in Talon were all at risk of getting caught or doing things they really shouldn’t and I just had to keep reading because I needed to know what was going to happen.  About ¾ of the way through this book so many things started happening and it was just so intense.

In terms of the characters, I liked Ember; I thought she was pretty awesome.  The one thing I didn’t really like about her was that she was too trusting.  I have to say that I think Riley was my favourite character in the book because he was mysterious but he also seemed more like he knew what he was doing.  For the most part anyway, there was one thing he did that annoyed me a bit but I’m hoping to see some redemption in the next book.

So, Talon is such a great book and any fan of Julie Kagawa can proudly add Talon to their collection.  Will I be reading the next book in the series?  Definitely, especially with the way that the epilogue ended the book.

1 comment:

  1. omg me too! I HATE when characters put themselves in situations where they might get caught and screwed over and ugh, it makes me so nervous and squirmy too! I didn't like her Iron Fey series but i LOVED her Blood of Eden trilogy! definitely checking this out too

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always awesome!