Monday, October 6, 2014

Bring Your Lunch by Califia Suntree

Title: Bring Your Lunch

Author: Califia Suntree

Published: September 2014, Workman Publishing

Pages: 250

Summary: With over 60 delicious, healthful, unexpected recipes, BRING YOUR LUNCH ensures DIY lunchtime success--and significant weekly savings--while keeping the brown-bag doldrums away. And it doesn't matter if you're a make-ahead food planner or a harried last-minute type--with its innovative, doable strategies, cooks of all kinds can learn to overcome the obstacles that keep them hooked on expensive takeout or boring PB&Js. There are quick Last-Minute Lunches, including salads--Kale Salad Agrodolce, Beet and Apple Salad with Walnuts and Cheese--and sandwiches--Proscuitto and Provolone Sandwich with Fig Jam, Deli Counter Banh Mi, El Turkey Club. Leftover Leitmotifs: Lamb Pita with Spicy Yogurt Sauce, Vietnamese Lettuce Wraps, Salmon & Swiss Chard Summer Rolls, Lo Mein with Garlicky Greens. Recipes that use the freezer wisely--Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp, Easy Empanadas, and other recipes are ready to go when you are. Snacks for when you want to ditch the vending machine--Tropical Fruit Energy Bars and Chickpea "Nuts." Plus notes on essential equipment, tips for shopping and prepping, and a lunch larder of extras--Lemony Miso Dressing, Green Pea Hummus, Homemade Mayo. It's time to end the cycle of broken lunch promises, too many trips to the taco truck, and all that money that disappears every week. It's time instead to choose to BYOL--it's healthy, wealthy, and wise, and now easy as could be.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I really love recipe books and I am always looking for new ideas for things to take with me into work to have for lunch.  When I saw this on netgalley I snapped it up in the hopes that it would give me some good recipe ideas.

I feel like the cover doesn’t match who the target audience is.  I also feel this is the case for the tone of the text.  When I picked this book up I was expecting to find a book that would offer me interesting lunch ideas that I could take with me into the workplace. 

In terms of the layout of this book though, I thought it was really well structured and really well organised.  It made flipping through the pages really easy and there was a lot of information provided about storage for lunches and other interesting tidbits which I found really helpful.

In terms of recipes, there are so many and most of them sound really good.  There’s also a huge variety of choices.  There are vegetarian options as well as a large number of different meat options such as beef, lamb and pork.

I feel like this has some pretty good recipe ideas for what to bring for lunch and would recommend this one to anyone looking to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!