Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The TBR Plan

I don't remember if I've written about my tbr plan yet so I figured that today I would take the opportunity to explain my plan to reduce my tbr pile.  At the beginning of the year my tbr pile consisted of over 300 books and I wanted to reduce this pile by at least half by the end of the year.

Step 1: The first thing I did was purge my tbr pile of books that I had collected over the years and were just sitting there.  I was realistic in my purging and managed to reduce my tbr pile down to about 220 books.  And what did I do with the rest of the books?  I sold on a bunch of the ones that I had bought myself and a few review copies I still have packed in a box as I'm not entirely sure what I should do with them yet.



Step 2: Set a goal for the year!  I set my Goodreads challenge to 120 books for the year as I wanted to reduce my tbr by half and I also made a bit of room for any extra books each month.

Step 3: Read. I was reading my books and for the first few months this really worked.  However, I did reach a bit of a problem when I got to June and July.

Step 4: Rethink things.  I hadn't been buying books throughout the beginning of the year but when July hit, I went on a book buying frenzy because I discovered all of these amazing sounding books that I really wanted to read.  Not only that, but I found that to reach my monthly goal and stay on track with my goodreads challenge, I was picking up really small books from the library to read just so I could get my numbers right.  Something needed to change.  

Step 5: No more numbers.  I got rid of the 120 books on my goodreads challenge,  I set it to 80 as I was almost at 80 books for the year.  Getting rid of the total number of books I need to read kind of relieved a lot of the pressure for me.  It meant that I wouldn't feel forced to read books I wouldn't otherwise read just to meet my monthly goal.

Step 5: Balance.  It's all about balance. Now I am keeping my book buying under control and also each month my only goal is to read more books than what I obtain.  I've been doing this since July and while it's really slow going, I'm being really serious with it in September and I'm just reading what I read.  I've currently ordered four books so far this month and so I just have to read more than 4 books.  I'm not planning on buying any more anytime soon either so it should be good.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!