Saturday, September 27, 2014

Scorch by Gina Damico

Title: Scorch

Author: Gina Damico

Published: HMH Books for Young Readers, 2012

Pages: 332

Series: Book 2, Croak

Summary: Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby is a teenage grim reaper with the bizarre ability to damn souls. That makes her pretty scary, even to fellow Grims. But after inadvertently transferring her ability to Zara, a murderous outlaw, Lex is a pariah in Croak, the little town she calls home.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I read the first book in the series when it first came out, which was over three years ago.  I bought the next two books in the series as soon as they came out but for some reason just never got around to reading any of them until now.

One issue with reading the books so far apart is that it’s a little hard to remember exactly what happened in the previous book.  So going into Scorch I only really remembered the ending of Croak because seriously who could forget it.  Anyway, as the book progressed I started to remember more things but I think there needs to be a gap of less than three years between books.

One warning I have, is that the back of the book gives away what happens for almost the entire book.  I read the back and 200 pages in I was confused as to why some of it hadn’t happened yet. 

Scorched is full of a mixture of humour and sadness and it’s done in such a good way.  There are so many funny parts in the book.  But at the same time, things get pretty serious.

Scorch was such a good book and I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t get around to reading it sooner.  I know I'll be getting to the next book very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!