Friday, September 12, 2014

I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells

Title: I Don't Want to Kill You

Author: Dan Wells

Published: Tor Books, 2011

Pages: 320

Series: Book 3, John Cleaver

Summary: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!  John Cleaver has called a demon—literally called it, on the phone, and challenged it to a fight. He’s faced two of the monsters already, barely escaping with his life, and now he’s done running; he’s taking the fight to them. But as he wades through his town’s darkest secrets, searching for any sign of who the demon might be, one thing becomes all too clear: in a game of cat and mouse with a supernatural killer, the human is always the mouse. 

In I Am Not a Serial Killer we watched a budding sociopath break every rule he had to save his town from evil. In Mr. Monster we held our breath as he fought madly with himself, struggling to stay in control. Now John Cleaver has mastered his twisted talents and embraced his role as a killer of killers. I Don’t Want to Kill You brings his story to a thundering climax of suspicion, mayhem, and death.

It’s time to punish the guilty.
And in a town full of secrets, everyone is guilty of something.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: I have to admit that I’ve been a little apprehensive about reading this because it’s the last book in the trilogy and so I don’t want the series to end.  The other reason I’ve been a little apprehensive is because I usually have bad luck when it comes to trilogies having disappointing endings.  However, Dan Wells’ writing is amazing.

What can I say about I Don’t Want to Kill You?  There was so much going on and it was so mysterious.  I loved every word of the book.  I had been in a reading slump and basically when I started this book it took me a couple of days to get to chapter two.  However, once I got past chapter two I kept going and devoured the rest of the book.  It was so good.

There were a couple of things that I had figured out to do with the plot but I hadn’t really figured out how they fit together and so when parts were revealed I was a little surprised but I thought it also made a lot of sense.

The ending was really unexpected and sad.  I was really shocked but at the same time I thought it was a nice ending to the series.  I thought I Don’t Want to Kill You did a good job of finishing up the trilogy.  However, I have since learned that there is a novella set after this one and also there may be a fourth book in the works.

I really loved Dan Wells’ writing and I look forward to reading more of his books.  Even some that aren’t set in the John Cleaver universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!