Thursday, September 18, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Title: Gone Girl

Author: Gillian Flynn

Published: Broadway Books, 2014 (first published 2012)

Pages: 422

Summary: On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: After seeing the movie trailer for this books adaption I was really intrigued and thought the book could be an interesting read so I eagerly picked it up.  In all honesty, I have mixed feelings about this book.  For starters, so much of the book was in the movie trailer that I kind of felt like I had already read the first half of the book, so it took a bit to get into the story for me.

There were times where I would read a chapter, and then another and another and I would just keep reading the book.  There were parts of the book where I got completely sucked in and immersed in the story because I had to know what was going on and what was going to happen next.

After the first couple of chapters I managed to guess what had happened to Amy.  I feel like when this was revealed to be true, I was a little disappointed and so I found it really difficult to read the rest of the book.

I do feel as though this book was a really good exploration of sociopaths and I found that part of the book to be very intriguing and I liked that part a lot.

The two main characters are both just awful people.  It made the book that more intriguing though as Amy would make Nick out to be a bad guy whereas Nick would make Amy out to be a bad guy.  I actually joked to my boyfriend that this book was a good guide of what not to do in a relationship.  I think my favourite character in the entire book would be Go, she was just a nicer person and not as annoying as anybody else in the book.

In terms of the ending of the book, I liked it up to a certain point.  I think it would have been better if it had stopped a few chapters before it actually did.  I just felt like it dragged on a lot.

Overall, I feel like Gone Girl was an alright read for me.  I guess I just felt like the ups and downs of my interest level kind of made this book a chore to read at times.  However, Gillian Flynn’s other books sound really intriguing so I am looking forward to reading the other two.  I’ve heard that they are darker reads than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!