Monday, September 8, 2014

Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer

Title: Five Days Left

Author: Julie Lawson Timmer

Published: August 2014, Century

Pages: 400

Purchase:
Book Depository*

Summary: Mara Nichols, a successful lawyer, and devoted wife and adoptive mother, has recently been diagnosed with a terminal disease. Scott Coffman, a middle school teacher, has been fostering an eight-year-old boy while the boy’s mother serves a jail sentence. Scott and Mara both have five days left until they must say good-bye to the ones they love the most. Through their stories, Julie Lawson Timmer explores the individual limits of human endurance, the power of relationships, and that sometimes loving someone means holding on, and sometimes it means letting go.  (Taken from Goodreads)

Thoughts: Not my usual type of read, I thought I would give this one a go as it sounded interesting and I’m always open to trying new things.  If I’m going to be honest I will say that I wasn’t really sure that I wanted to start this book at all as it really wasn’t my type of book.  However, I decided to flick through the first couple of pages and from there I continued to read.


The writing style is very beautiful and I loved reading the words on the page.  It had a sort of addicting quality to it and so I would sit down to read a chapter and would just keep reading.  However, when I put the book down I did find it hard to pick up again, mostly because the book has a very sad tone to it and so I found it hard to pick up at times.

Five Days Left is a beautifully written novel and I feel like anyone who loves sad contemporary fiction would find this one very enjoyable.  It is also very emotional and it made me feel a lot of things.  It also made me think a lot about my family and it just made me take a moment to appreciate what I have.

After I finished this book I sort of sat around for a few days just gathering my thoughts on everything that was in the book and everything that could have happened after the book ended.  It also made me think about if I was in similar situations.  It took me a few days to pick up my next book as this one sort of left me thinking about it for a while.  It’s just extremely thought-provoking and I feel like if this sounds even vaguely like it could be your kind of book then give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always awesome!